BELS young learner group courses run at our BELS Malta language center in St.Paul’s Bay during the summer, Easter and autumn holidays. These courses include 20 lessons per week and are available for children aged 7 upwards. Classrooms are divided according to level of English based on a pre-arrival placement test. Lessons for accompanying adults are possible at the same time, in the same building as part of our parent and child programme. This option is ideal for parents who’d like to study English while on holiday with their family as the children will be taken care of during their lesson times.
As part of the general English course, children will acquire balanced language input in all language areas (grammar, vocabulary, phonology, discourse) and active practice using all four language skills (reading, writing, listening, speaking).
At BELS we understand that children learn the most when lessons are interactive, engaging and fun. On our courses for young learners we create a rich, friendly and student-centered learning environment to maximise learning. Most importantly, we aim to share our passion and instill a love of the English language with our young learners.
Our teachers, course content and learning methodology encourage students to experiment with the language and improve their language skills in a supportive environment. In addition to developing English language skills, our young learner courses are also designed to build 21st century skills by taking a multimedia and collaborative approach to learning core content. During our lesson planning we incorporate a mixture of the communicative and blended learning approach to foster learner autonomy.
The course material includes a variety of text-book material, online learning content, videos and interactive activities on a range of familiar, everyday topics. Students will learn through a variety of individual work, pair-work, group-work, role-plays, debates, projects, discussions and gamification. With this approach we ensure that students also develop their confidence along with fluency when using the English language.
On this course, children will:
- Experience a social learning environment
- Build confidence by speaking in English about familiar topics
- Actively use English in different contexts
- Be encouraged to use English naturally
- Learn to express themselves using English
- Develop communicative and collaborative skills
- Develop important 21st century skills
- Have individual attention from their teacher
Young Learner Course Facts
Lessons per week
Monday to Friday
2 lessons: 9:10 – 10:30 – Break – 2 lessons: 10:45 – 12:15
Minimum entry level
Students per class
Average 4 students, maximum 12 students per class
Children who need to develop confidence and skills using English in a natural environment
Too young to join the group course?
If you would like English courses for younger children, we offer individual lessons for children as young as 4 years old. Since students have individual attention, these lessons are more effective and usually require less contact time. All individual lessons are tailor-made based on the students’ age, learning needs and interest.
Other options to consider:
- English courses for adults are available at the same center, during the hours as the young learner course. Accompanying adults may join courses while the children are also engaged in lessons.
- If you prefer attending courses at BELS Gozo, we can offer individual lessons for students of all ages, at any time of the year.
- For students aged 9-16, there is also the option to join our full day course and leisure programme.
Would you like to start planning your family learning holiday with BELS Malta? Speak to us on livechat or send us an email at [email protected]