6th July 2020.
BELS never stopped teaching and all our courses are available online, in virtual classrooms, with our teachers delivering live interactive lessons, you may book and take an online course now.
The building was closed to students, by government edict on the 13th March, due to Covid-19 pandemic and face-to-face teaching had to be put on hold. The core team has continued to work from home and has been available to support students, parents and agents throughout the weeks of imposed closure
Yes, we will still be running our online courses. They have been very popular and will become permanent part of our range of courses.
- Registration will be completed digitally.
- Passport photos are to be sent to the school digitally pre arrival. Due to the need to wear masks within the school at all times – pictures cannot be taken. If this is not done, we will be unable to issue student cards for learners which we are obliged to issue, regardless of learner age, by law.
- The language placement test will be conducted online pre arrival.
On the 1st of July 2020, Malta International Airport will be resuming operations to a limited number of countries. 19 countries and regions – Austria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Norway, Sardinia, Sicily, Slovakia, Switzerland, Italy, France, Poland, Spain, Croatia, Greece – have been identified by government as safe for travel to and from Malta.
Travellers arriving in Malta from these countries and regions will not be required to observe a quarantine period of 14 days but will be requested to fill in a passenger locator form to allow the authorities to trace them quickly should the need arise. Online lessons will be offered to any students forced to quarantine upon arrival in Malta. More information may be found on www.maltairport.com.
There will be a number of safety measures in place, so students can learn safely together, while maintaining social distancing:
- Class sizes will be set according to the guidelines set by the local authorities to enable social distancing.
- Break times will be staggered so students are not moving around the corridors or in break-out areas at the same time.
- Teachers and students will be advised of break times on arrival prior to the 6th of July.
- The locations of classes will be staged across the school building to ensure social distancing is maintained between different classes. During break-time students are advised to maintain social distancing.
- The entire school building will be cleaned and sanitized daily.
Classrooms will be sanitized multiple times, throughout each day.
- Hand sanitizer dispensing units will be available for use by all.
Hallway doors will be open to aid ventilation, so students and staff will not need to touch the doors.
- Classroom windows will be left open for ventilation.
Online and digital resources will be used instead of physical hard copies for materials.
- Students will be given their own personal course book and expected to bring their own learning materials.
- The reception desk will have a Perspex screen to separate students and staff, with reception staff wearing the appropriate face shields/visors at all times.
- Teachers will wear face shields/visors as per current government guidance and will maintain social distancing in classrooms.
- Face shields/visors will be sanitised regularly.
- Students must wear their own face shields (these will be available for sale at the school), we prefer the use of face shields rather than masks, to allow for one’s facial expression to be readable throughout the day’s interactions.
- We are keeping up-to-date and will follow all FELTOM and government advice as issued.
All our usual accommodation options will be available to be booked with your course from July onward, both our BELS Residences single rooms, single rooms with en-suite bathroom and shared room will be available. A limited amount of home-stay accommodations will be available.
- Students will have their own kitchenware for shared kitchens.
- Students are encouraged to maintain a rota system for kitchen use.
- Shared kitchens will be deep cleaned once a week.
- No visitors to be allowed in residences at any time of day and night.
- If you need to quarantine at any point during your stay, BELS will provide support.
- The Canifor Hotel is one that has been certified by the Malta Tourist Authority mta.com.mt as safe for use, after the pandemic.
- Clients will be accommodated in twin rooms and not triple ones, at no extra charge
- Hot meals will be served, whether or not buffet style will be possible will remain to be seen and is dependent on government directives.
- The Maltese government has not yet issued any COVID-19 prevention guidelines for homestay as yet, and at this time we feel more comfortable recommending our Residence.
Our transport providers are currently following all government guidelines with regards to safety in their vehicles.
The airport transfers will be in vehicles allocated for BELS students and will have a partition between the passenger and the driver. The vehicles will be sanitized after each passenger journey. More information may be found on www.publictransport.com.mt.
Public transport is running all over the islands and adhering to the government guidelines. If you prefer to take a bus, we suggest using safety measures such as wearing a mask and washing your hands thoroughly before and after the journey.
- Gozo – You can walk to the school from our student residences: Victoria is a 40-minute walk. We will provide a map and you can enjoy the countryside and village on the way. There are also signs at the outskirts of the village. You can also cycle using a rented bike / rented scooter / rented car but please be very careful. Remember we drive on the left side of the road!
- Malta – You can walk to the school from our student residences they are not more than 20 minutes away from school, on foot. All host families are located within a maximum 25 minutes bus journey from the school.
- Gozo – Yes, we have 3 large outside terraces with tables and chairs offering 360 degrees views of the country side.
- Malta – The communal areas are spacious enough to socialise while keep social distancing.
A social activities programme will also be running, with outdoor activities that will allow for social distancing measures to be adhered to. Leisure Programmes for Junior Programme attendees and also Young Adult Programme for Young Adult programme attendees was being refined at time of writing and will be added in due course.
- Gozo – Since we are in the countryside and away from the town, we suggest that you bring your own packed lunch. We also have a vending machine with pre-packed snacks and drinks available.
- Malta – We are in the heart of St Paul’s Bay, with many cafes, kiosks and shops selling fast food, which are open for take-away. We also have a vending machine with pre-packed snacks and drinks. You can enjoy your food on any of our communal areas on the school grounds or by the sea-side.
You are kindly requested to e-mail the school advising you will be unable to attend. If you cancel your stay less than 3 weeks from date of arrival our cancellation policy will stand. In this case you will need to make a claim with your insurance in order to be reimbursed.
If the school is unable to operate we will advise you accordingly and a credit note will be raised in your favour, to be used until end 2021.
Students need to let us know straight away if they feel unwell.
Students are obliged to notify us by calling the BELS emergency numbers. Full details will be given in their welcome pack. We have protocols in place for this situation and will make sure the student who is ill will be well cared for, and that other students are safe. More information may be found on www.deputyprimeminister.gov.com.mt.
We’d like to hear from you if you have any other questions about visiting us or anything else you might need. We are here to help you make the best out of the BELS experience.
If you are interested in studying here and would like to ask questions prior to booking, contact us on [email protected].
If you have already booked your course, kindly contact the respective agent or school managers.
- BELS Gozo – Ryan Grech
- BELS Malta – Daniel Bongalais
- BELS Juniors – Daniel Bongalais