25 Things to do in the town of St. Paul’s Bay
Are you planning a trip to Malta? St. Paul’s Bay, with its stunning beauty and captivating charm, is the perfect destination for your holiday accommodation. Our blog explains why!
Welcome to St.Paul’s Bay – home to our BELS Malta school for children, adults and anyone in between.
St. Paul’s Bay in Malta is a charming seaside town that has become a popular holiday destination. With a perfect blend of history, culture, and natural beauty, this bustling town has something for everyone. St. Paul’s Bay won’t disappoint you if you are a family looking for kid-friendly activities or a solo traveller seeking adventure. At BELS English School in Malta, we understand that every traveller is unique. That’s why we have compiled a list of 40 things to do in St. Paul’s Bay, catering to various interests and preferences.
You will find a wide range of options along the coast of Bugibba, which is just a 10-minute walk from St. Paul’s Bay. These include restaurants, cafes, wine bars, pubs, beach clubs, cinemas, casinos, the National Aquarium, and more.
Why should you choose St. Paul’s Bay as your destination in Malta?
Choosing to stay in St. Paul’s Bay, Malta, offers a perfect mix of an exciting and active vacation with a peaceful and secure environment. St. Paul’s Bay has a friendly and relaxed vibe that ensures a stress-free getaway while providing opportunities for socializing and creating lasting memories. The area boasts a lively waterfront scene and a charming fishing village ambience, offering plenty of fun activities. One of the significant benefits is the relatively lower crowds and traffic compared to St. Julian’s, which makes it a more comfortable and safer place to stay.
St. Paul’s Bay is well-connected to the rest of the island through a direct bus route, making exploring Malta’s top attractions convenient. This means that while enjoying the calmness of St. Paul’s Bay, you can easily visit the livelier areas when you feel like it, combining the best of both worlds for an enjoyable and balanced vacation.
From Sports and Courses to Exquisite Food and Lazy Days, here’s a list of Things to do in St.Paul’s Bay!
- Enjoy the blue – Enjoy the breathtaking views of the blue sea and sky as you take a pleasant walk or jog along the Islets Promenade, which runs all along the coast of St. Paul’s Bay. The bay is dotted with colourful boats as St. Paul’s Islands keep watch in the distance. Stop for a drink and a bite in one of the many kiosks and seaside venues scattered along the way, relish the sunshine and relax.
- Be a beach bum – Chill out on the comfortable sands of Perched Beach, located just minutes from Buġibba Centre, enjoy the kiss of the sun and have a refreshing swim in the clear blue waters. There are also several other bathing spots along the rest of the rocky coast, all of which are ideal for snorkelling.
- Go Beach Hopping in the North of Malta – The north of Malta has the best sandy beaches on the island – and the good news is that they are all just a short 20-30 minute bus ride away from our school. You absolutely have to visit beaches like Golden Bay, Riviera Bay, Mellieha Bay, and Paradise Bay. They are all so beautiful and worth exploring.
- Live the high life – If you’re looking for good music and rinks, you definitely need to check out the amazing beach bars with their lido, cocktail bar, cool tunes, and breathtaking sunset view. Make sure you don’t miss out on the must-visit spots like Nine Lives, Loa, and Cafe del Mar!nd sunset sky over the horizon at the multiple beach bars.
- Get curious at the aquarium – When you walk further along the promenade from Bugibba, you’ll reach the town of Qawra, home to the island’s national aquarium. The aquarium has five zones, each exploring a unique part of the Maltese islands and the underwater world.
- Take a splash – The Buġibba Water Park is becoming increasingly popular, as it provides a safe and fun place for children to mingle while playing with water. A much bigger and varied waterpark with slides, the Splash and Fun Park, is located a short bus ride from St. Paul’s Bay.
- Dive deep – Immerse yourself completely in the clear waters of the Mediterranean Sea and explore some of the top diving locations in the world. Scuba diving in Malta is fantastic, with a lot of fascinating underwater caves and marine life to discover. Try wreck diving, underwater caving and free diving, too!
- Ride the waves – Not sure about heading down below? Then, scoot above the waves of Malta’s amazing waters with a variety of water sports, from kayaking or surfing to jet-skiing. We can help you organise yourself to try anything you fancy.
- Take a boat trip – Several boat trips depart daily from the nearby pier on various tours around the islands. Take a trip to the Blue Lagoon, one of the most remarkable gems, or you can charter a boat for the day.
- Explore the bird park – Wait – this is not just about birds! You will also meet antelopes, meerkats, deer, marmosets, snakes and other reptiles, and you can even volunteer to help out! This beautiful natural haven and conservation area is located just near Kennedy Grove.
- Wine and dine al fresco – Several restaurants in the area offer various cuisines with budgets to suit everyone. Many restaurants also offer tables for al fresco dining. We are more than happy to recommend our favourite restaurants to you.
- Have a movie night – With so much activity and so much to see, sometimes it is time to unwind with a good movie. The local Empire Cinema and its selection of the latest movies are just a few minutes walk from BELS.
- Listen to live music – Several pubs and bars around Qawra offer live music, from Elvis impersonators to cool local bands. Or you could have your moment at a Karaoke! Thursday nights at Ta’ Fra Ben mark spontaneous jamming sessions, while Wednesdays mark Summer Chillout DJ Sessions at Cafe’ del Mar.
- Check out the classical car museum – One of the most unique things to do in St. Paul’s Bay is visiting the Classic Car Museum. A delight for all, even those who are not particularly passionate about cars, here you will find a remarkable display of epic automobiles, complete with documentary cinema, a gift shop, and a cafe’.
- Take risks at the casino – If nothing excites you like the anticipation of the ball spinning on the roulette or the sound of the slot machine, then visit the Oracle Casino, where poker tournaments are also held. Or just have a different night out at the Casino in your best outfit while you pretend to be rich.
- Walk the Xemxija Heritage Trail – At the other extreme of amusement and interest are nature and history. The Xemxija heritage trail takes you up a Roman Road to the rock-cut apiaries, past a 1000-year-old carob tree, and along a path with punic tombs on one side and temple remains on the other. Here, you may venture west into Mizip Forest or continue north to a ridge, which is also the location of the Roman baths.
- Hop over to St.Paul’s Island – You can start your adventure with a fun boat trip to St. Paul’s Island, where the legendary Apostle Paul shipwrecked in 60 AD. While you’re there, make sure to check out the awesome statue that commemorates this historic event.
- Explore a Wartime Air Raid Shelter – Have you heard of the Mellieħa Air Raid Shelter in Malta? It’s a fascinating place to step back in time and explore the underground tunnels built during World War II. You’ll glimpse Malta’s wartime history and learn something new!
- Climb up to the Red Tower – Climb to the top of the Red Tower, a 17th-century watchtower standing proudly on the Marfa Ridge, and enjoy breathtaking coastline views.
- Unwind with Sunset Horseriding in Golden Bay – A horseback journey through Golden Bay’s stunning vistas lets you explore sandy shores and experience adventure fused with natural beauty to create an unforgettable ride.
- Experience Rock Clilmbing at Anchor Bay – Looking for an exciting adventure? How about trying rock climbing near Popeye Village, overlooking Anchor Bay? You’ll climb the cliffs while taking in breathtaking panoramic sea views.
- Kayak through Amazing Sea Caves – Paddle through the crystal blue waters surrounding Comino and explore hidden caves on a kayaking excursion. As you navigate the labyrinthine passages, feel the ancient tales resonate within the limestone walls.
- Go Back in time at Popeye’s Village – Popeye’s Village is a whimsical theme park in St. Paul’s Bay, originally built as a film set for the 1980 musical “Popeye.” With vibrant wooden structures against the Mediterranean Sea, the village offers interactive shows, scenic boat rides, artisanal workshops, and delightful culinary experiences. It’s a fun and memorable day out for visitors of all ages.
- Hike the Cliffs and Coastlines – Hiking is the perfect way to explore Malta’s stunning natural beauty. With its sandy beaches, breathtaking landscapes, and endless opportunities for outdoor activities, Malta is a paradise for hikers. If you’re planning a trip to Malta, why not make it a hiking adventure and discover the hidden gems of this beautiful island on foot? Whether you’re a seasoned hiker or a beginner, there are plenty of trails to suit all levels of expertise. Read our guide about the best hiking routes in the north of Malta.
- Boost your English Skills with a Community of International Students – Just like the town itself, our school in St. Paul’s Bay has something for everyone! Whether you’re looking to improve your social conversation skills, learn business English, dive into academic English or attend courses for families, we’ve got you covered.
Combine a Relaxing Break with English Courses at BELS Malta
Whether you have already begun your English language journey or are just starting out, one of the best ways to learn is through an immersive experience. Your fluency can drastically improve by visiting an English-speaking country and regularly practising the language with other second-language learners. So, why visit Malta and experience a total language immersion at BELS? With a friendly student community, experienced teachers, and a beautiful atmosphere, BELS Malta is the perfect place to try out your language skills and reach a higher level of fluency. Malta is one of the primary English-speaking countries in Europe—not to mention the gorgeous scenery and idyllic weather—so it makes for an ideal location to study English. Contact [email protected] to learn more about our courses and invest in your skills.
Find a Suitable Course
Whether you'd like to improve English for personal, career or academic goals - we've got a course for you.Browse Courses